Overcoming Communication Resistance

 My child doesn't even eat and locks the door and stays in the room.

“Boom bang!

open the door!

Let's talk!”

Still no response.

Why does my child refuse to talk and open the door?

Why don't people around us like to talk to us?


There may be numerous causes, including:


Anticipation of the obvious: The response is repetitive and self-evident, not the appropriate answer.

Lack of trust: Fear of negative consequences if I were to communicate. There are many individuals who speak impulsively without considering the consequences.

Self-defense: At times, I may refuse to converse in order to safeguard and protect myself. By revealing my vulnerabilities and shortcomings, I provide others with an opportunity to attack.

Past experiences: I have listened attentively to others in the past, yet little positive has transpired. There are those who approach us with empty promises, claiming to guide us.

Fear of change: I am aware that I must embark on a new journey, but I may refuse to converse out of fear of change. I lack the courage and fortitude, and there are few individuals who will accompany me and provide encouragement.


Jesus advocates for the following approach:


1. Don't condemn others!

2. Don't criticize others

3. Don't discipline others

4. Listen attentively!

5. Show empathy!

6. Show respect!

7. Show love!

8. Earn the trust and respect of the other person prior to speaking!

It is common to resort to methods 1, 2, and 3, as methods 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 require more time and effort.




댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

A Postmodern Perspective on Spirituality: A Review of Leonard Sweet's 'Out of the Question...Into the Mystery

"Not a Fan" by Kyle Idleman: A Challenge to Radical Discipleship and Wholehearted Commitment to Jesus in a Contemporary Context.

The Miracle of Forgiveness (Gen 50,20)